Friday, April 04, 2008

April is Autism Awareness Month

"I'm already aware of autism, Mom." -Ethan, April 2nd, 2008 (World Autism Awareness Day)
April is Autism Awareness Month! As many of you know, our son has Aspergers. Some day, when I am ready, I plan to post my "on going" post about Aspergers and life with Ethan. Don't get me wrong, we are so blessed to be parents of our special boy! Yes, life can be complicated with an Asperger child. Neighbors, friends, and family do not always understand Ethan. They do not always understand how or why his brain operates and/or understand why he says the expressions he speaks. (don't place blame on the parents or 'assume' that the child is speaking words to be hurtful.... that is where people need to become more educated). We just wish for people to become educated regarding Aspergers, Autism, and other Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

LB and I are so fortunate to have come in contact with many wonderful parents of ASD kids. We belong to many support groups and we have also organized our own parent ASD group in our town. It is a great way for parents to come together and share their successes and challenges.

Also, we have been fortunate to have a HUGE support group rooting for us and to be our guide and comfort when the tough times do arise. A big thank you is expressed for Father of Five. This kind man took the time to be educated about Autism and to display a banner on his blog in honor of Ethan! ----- thank you! Check out FOF's blog and read some good posts.

5 comments:

The Father of Five said...

(Blushing)... It's the least I can do!

Ming the Merciless said...

That's an impressive ferris wheel Ethan has in front of him.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow. Interesting post. Say Hi to your family for me.

My grandson has autism and my daughter posts about him http://dearnoah.blogspot.com/

that might interest you. He is in public school now and has some interesting days.

I came here from Ming's blog about New York. Saw your comment there about being in love with the same guy for 14 years. That is really nice to think about. My wife and I have been in love since 1955 and married that long too.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio.

Rand said...

Hey, Lady Di... we actually have a cousin with ASD. School started off a bit rocky but he's in high school now and a champion harmonica player and seems to be finding his way.

Thanks for your comment the other day.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi
I am having trouble reading this post (and want to very much) but it has a cream background for part of the post and then the rest blends into your wallpaper. I see others have read it sucessfully so maybe it is just my computer. That structure Ethan created looks amazing, photo is too small for me to see what it is though.

About Me

My photo
I Love Life, I Love My Family, I Love Having FUN, I Love being ME! LIFE IS GOOD!!!